Saturday, August 22, 2015

So I am in London!!!!!

Where I last left off was at the LAX airport! So as I kind of mentioned my flight was super late! I didn't really mind but I was a little worried about arriving on the other side, but I hoped it would all work out! When I got on the plane I was a little worried. We were flying on the brand new 787 which was fantastic but that was not the part I was worried about. I went to sit down and I was on the last row, on the isle with just one seat squeezed next to me. It seemed so cramped for a red eye flight, but I guess they don't have special planes for such occasions. My mind immediately went to the movie bride and prejudice where the mother complains that she didn't want to be in the back by the bathrooms because you hear the flushing all night long.
 Though I would not have minded if a gentleman this attractive would come and sit next to me! They flew from London to LA so I guess I should have high hopes on my way back! hehe! Anyway it really wasn't that bad. And someone did not come and sit next to me so I had a little extra room to sleep in. Also the plane had a fancy personal entertainment system so it was great. I didn't sleep for too long but it gave me enough energy to get through the day. Here is a view from my window!

I loved when we were landing! It was so fun to see the fields and little houses and see cars driving on the wrong side of the road. I was fun! Then going through border control and taking out some pounds and buying a train ticket were all a knew experience for me, but it all went relatively smoothly. With my big bags I did have to be a totally lost tourist when I asked one the train attendants where I needed to go to catch my train and how I got through the little gate to even get to the platform, but it all worked out. We had some delays on the train but it gave the opportunity to take this cool picture of a random wall!


And here is my first glimpse of the london eye!
It was fun to just be on the train. Then I had to switch to the underground train, which wasn't as bad as I thought but I felt pretty silly with my luggage. Then when I got on the underground it was packed! I felt bad for the space I took up with my luggage. Luckily I only had to wait for 3 stops but I was happy to give people more space. The worst was when I got off the train there was no elevator or escalator, so i had to carry my luggage up 2 pretty large flights of stairs, then the real excitement began when I had to find my way to the apartment we are staying at. Luckily they gave us a guide to there house with detailed pictures, but I had to check them on every turn! With a lot of wrong turns I finally made it, but to my dismay, no one was home, so I left my luggage in the back gate and borrowed the neighbors internet and discovered that Alyssa my traveling buddy went to the train station to meet me. SO I walked back to the train station, now a pro, but I couldn't find her. Eventually I did hear from her, but I had been let in by the people that own our apartment so it all worked out! Then Alyssa and I went out for a late night walk, seeing as it was friday night, and we went down to a building called the shard. On our walk we took picture of the tower of london and the tower bridge.



 It was so fun to just be walking around with a ton of people. We ran into a free production of the Women of Troy. It was fun to watch and listen to there thick accents. We finally got to the shard and realized that we were totally underdressed, but they let us in anyway. We had to be very specific that we were just getting dessert because it was a very fancy club feel. We got our volcanic ash water and shared our little and interesting dessert with passion fruit  on the side, mint shorbet, flakes of toasted coconut and some ice cream type stuff that was almost room temperature. It was interesting but very good. Then we took a taxi home, just to live it up on our first night! Our taxi driver was so awesome he gave us some tourist tips and he told us about a building that used to be the tallest in london. We asked how old it was and he said not that old only a few hundred years and that was when we realized that to us that was a long time so we joked back and forth about how young america is and it was just really fun. It was such a great first night out on the town! I am excited to have my first full day in London. It should be fun!

Love,
Sarah

3 comments:

  1. Way too go Sarah! You did it. You made it to London. It sounds soo exciting already. Love the photos. Keep 'em coming. We can all live vicariously through YOU! Cheerio.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds about right for foreign travel!! Be sure to enjoy every minute!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love getting these updates! Way to make it across the pond with all that luggage! The tube can be tricky to navigate...good job with all of your transfers in a new place! Enjoy every minute over there!

    ReplyDelete